Copyright and Publishing Law : For Musicians and Songwriters
The digital revolution has heralded incredible advances in music technology and the way we listen to and share music, but it has also opened a lot of loopholes for your rights of creative ownership to be abused. New communication technologies allow people to easily share and download information, music, images and other intellectual property with the simple click of a mouse, so it’s important to know your rights.
Attorney Brock Shinen will teach you how to make sure your compositions are properly protected. The course covers what types of work can be protected, how best to ensure creative ownership, how to exercise control over your intellectual property, what are standard contract terms, granting rights, exclusivity, termination of rights and equitable compensation.
We use only the world’s finest instructors who have a minimum of 15 years real world experience and are experts in their fields. Unlike a live class you can fast-forward, repeat or rewind your lectures, enabling you to fully understand each topic before moving on. This creates a personal learning experience and gives you all the benefits of hands on training with the flexibility of fitting it in around your busy schedule. The content is not available all at once, but is split into parts to make it more manageable.
The information contained in this course is not and should not be viewed as legal advice. It is a general overview of the subject matter. Specific facts, circumstances, law, and other considerations may substantially change the outcome of any matter, and this video does not apply specific law to specific facts.
This course, and the contents of it, should not be used as a substitute for legal advice. Before taking any action and/or making any decision relative to the subject matter, you should consult an attorney.
Key Learning Points
This course will teach you the basics of copyright and publishing law within the music industry. It is written by experts within this field and contains step-by-step videos that will teach you everything you need to know. Focus areas include:
- Introduction- Learn what copyright and publishing laws are and how they are applicable to your music or other intellectual property.
- Understanding ownership- Learn about the rights that come with ownership and how creating a song or composition entitles the author to copyright protection.
- Protecting your music- Learn how to copyright your work and explore exclusive rights that come with it, such as the right to produce copies and records, the right to distribute the work and the right to display the work.
- Getting It Out There- Learn how to properly distribute and promote your work without fear of it being stolen or misused.
- Typical Contract Terms- Attorney Brook Shinen will take you through a typical contract and teach you what to expect and what pitfalls to look out for.
Advantage of this course
The world of copyright and publishing law can be murky and complicated for the uninitiated, so any budding musician will benefit hugely from some knowledge in this area. Other benefits include:
- An overview of copyright and publishing law, and how to protect your compositions and songs
- An understanding of your rights and how to exercise control over your intellectual property
- Professional tuition from an industry expert
- The security of knowing that your intellectual property is safe when you release it
If you want to unleash your music on the world, this course has been designed for you. Don’t delay – buy now and start learning.
- Understanding Ownership
- Protecting Your Music
- Getting It Out There
- Typical Contract Terms
|1 gigahertz (GHz)|
|Internet Explorer 8 or above
Safari 6 or above